The International and Regional Standardization Committee (IRSC) is responsible for representing, supervising and coordinating all work of the Association in the development and implementation of International/Regional programs that address technical standards, product and manufacturing regulations and their respective conformity assessment systems. The latter includes evaluation and promotion of specific conformance criteria through development of Association position statements on required and proposed product marking systems and market access requirements. The IRSC, in collaboration with the NEMA sections, is required to propose, and implement strategies and tactical programs to meet NEMA member company needs that meet NEMA agreed standardization policies and strategies expressed by the NEMA SCAPC and to coordinate with the appropriate NEMA committees.
The membership of the International and Regional Standardization Committee consists of officers or employees of members of the Association.
The International and Regional standardization committee appoints sub-committees for long term interest areas and/or task forces to address short term issues that make up the working agenda of the IRSC committee.
A major topic within the scope of the IRSC is Conformity assessment. Within this area, IRSC is responsible for representing, supervising and coordinating all work of the Association in the development and implementation of international / regional / National programs that address conformity assessment systems. These responsibilities include evaluation and promotion of specific conformance criteria through development of Association positions on required and proposed product marking systems and market access requirements. In collaboration with the NEMA sections, IRSC is responsible for proposing, and implementing strategies and tactical programs that meet NEMA member company needs as well as NEMA approved conformity assessment policies and strategies expressed by the NEMA Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee (SCAPC).
The IRSC is a policy committee that reports to the NEMA Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee (SCAPC). In addition to other powers and duties granted or prescribed by the SCAPC from time to time, and subject to the supervision and direction of the SCAPC, the scope of the Committee is to:
- Define objectives and establish priorities to achieve timely and comprehensive positions on standards and conformity assessment issues of interest to NEMA.
- Monitor the international, regional, and other activities of individual NEMA subdivisions including NEMA International offices, together with activities of the national, regional and international organizations actively participating in markets of interest to NEMA members, and then implements strategies and actions to achieve NEMA member company needs.
- Maintain primary responsibility and contact in the international activities of national, regional, and international organizations.
- Implement all NEMA international and regional strategy activities.
- Support NEMA subdivision activities for participation in international and regional standards development.
- Direct coordination between the Technical Services and Government Affairs departments for regulatory issues, particularly related to standardization and conformity assessment.
- Develop NEMA positions for input to the USNC and IEC, and other international or regional standards bodies, activities including policy statements, strategic goals, advisory committee actions, guides for participants, etc.
- global certification issues, develop action plan and coordinate sections responses.
- Serve as a resource for the NEMA Regional Offices on subjects concerning standards and conformity assessment issues.
Current list of IRSC Members